Thursday, January 16, 2014

One Minute Update (16 Jan)

Hi everyone,

I got a great response last week from Diane G.  She said that 'there seems to be a push for more members, but more 'active' members is what we need.'  I agree Diane.
If you look at this slide that shows 'total' and 'active' you will see that we have grown in the last 3 years from under 100 to just around 200 'active' members.  What is non proportional is that we tend to attract some 'looky loos' who like us enough to join, but for some good reasons have not yet made it to a MeetUp.

I got another great email from Lori Q and she said, 'please don't remove me.'  She, like a lot of people, has many family demands and loves the group, but can't (yet) make it to MeetUps.  I told her that's perfectly fine.  We are not rushing anybody to the door.  It is simple to not get bumped, just go visit the site once in a while.  You don't have to sign up for a MeetUp, just visit the site and it will mark you as 'active.'  Let's continue to grow in smart and healthy 
ways

Simply put 'running a MeetUp Group' is not easy.  I know Groups that don't ever remove anyone so it appears when they have (800-1,000) members that they have a great group.  I have chosen to do things a lot differently.  I hold 'Annual Meetings,' where I talk about the shape of the Group.  We have an omsbuds(wo)man to handle any complaints or problems with the Group (Sheri Waddell <sherilwaddell@gmail.com>).  And I promote 'Community' mindedness.

So in short, yes we should be an 'active' group.  A group that understands that people are busy and they
want to belong, but can't always attend.  But what I feel is that we have to avoid stagnation.  We have to
grow.  Not always in numbers, but in healthy ways.  After 3 years, I know we are headed in that direction
and it is great to have your feedback and your support.

For those of you who haven't been to a MeetUp in 6 or more months.  What are you looking for?  I don't
believe that we should do 230 MeetUps this year, but we can certainly deliver more of what you want.

Different topic.  My break from school is almost over (I start up on the 21st), but in addition to the rest
I got, I can tell you I had some FUN too.  Last week I spent 3 days in Denver at the Colorado History
Museum.  I like history and you know that I love photography, so you can
only imagine how much fun I had doing photo research for the Colorado
Red Cross' 100th Anniversary.  I am doing a video project, which consider-
ing my editing skills is a challenge onto itself.  But anyway, this image
caught my eye.  I love how it has been hand colored to include the rosey
cheeks.  An iconic pose, well lit and dramatic.  It tells a story of a bygone
era but also continues to say 'patriotism, Americana, duty, love, gentleness
and kindness.'  I have close to 50-60 images gathered for my 3 minute
feature (it is always better to have more than too little when it comes to
story telling).  So what spare time I have when school starts will be
precious.  But I am still looking forward to the MeetUps I have posted
for January.

Next weekend will be the Community Photo Contest.  It is a lot of work but I am looking forward to it. 
I want to thank all of you that participated this year.  The Photo Contest is growing- and yet not growing
too fast.  I look forward to the day when everyone in the Group contributes at least (1) image as a way
of showcasing their work at least once a year.  A yard stick of how
well you did that year.  Editing your pictures and competing is a
fun way of taking an account of where your skills are and how well
you are doing professionally.  The contest for me is exciting be-
cause I get to see the great diversity of creative and talented
photographers right here in Colorado Springs. 'Our Community'
EVERYONE should plan on comming to the Photo Contest Gala and Donor Appreciation Night on
March 7th at 6 p.m.  It will be a great night of food, fine photography, awarding of trophies and great
mingling with winners, friends and happy donors.

Readings:
Personalize Lightroom to Improve Your Brand

Have a great week!
Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment