Thursday, January 30, 2014

One Minute Update (30 Jan)

What a week!  The judging of the 'Community' Photo Contest was an incredible experience.  Last year we had around 160 images and 3 judges.  This year we had over 200 entries and 7 judges.

Thank you's go out to Charlie Lehman from the Collaborative MeetUp Group, Kristal Kraft from the Front Range MeetUp Group, Dr. Jason Odell from the Luminesence MeetUp Group and our own Jim Harris, Hope Phipps and Amy & Paul Martin.

We had 2 monitors, a MacBook Pro laptop, an iPad, a projector, lots & lots of cables and a deadline.  (Thank you also to the volunteers who came early and helped me set up and tear down the room!)  It was an amazing environment and I will say the judges were tremendous.

But most importantly we have some extraordinary local talent and I think when you come to the Gala/Donor Appreciation night you are going to be blown away with what is on exhibit.  In the meantime go online and check out the entries, the Top 8  (vote for the 'Best of Show' award-- Comments under the photo count as votes :-) and there is even a slide show.

I would like to put a quick word in about one of our Contest Winners.  This was Peter Zula's first year
to enter.  He and I met for coffee and went over his entries.  He was quite candid and I could tell that he just needed a little recognition and support.  We found (9) images that I thought the judges would
like.

Let me tell you that Peter won 1st Place in the B/W category, Grand Prize in the Close Up category, 1st Place and a 5th Place in Man-Made/Abstract and 2nd Place in the Photojournalism category.  All I can say is 'wow!'  I am so glad that I could be there to look at his portfolio, make some suggestions and now be a part of his winning streak.  Peter is on a roll.  He is setting up a show at the Rockrimmon Library for the month of Feb. and setting up a B&W Street Photography exhibit starting at Poor Richards Restaurant.  If you run into Peter ask him about winning and his experience with the Group

Meanwhile, while all this Contest 'stuff' was going on we hit a historic 700 MeetUps held for our CSCPG Group- no small achievement.  Thanks to all our Co-Organizers and Event Hosts who make this 'stuff' happen and FUN!

On the personal side.  I am back in school.  I have 3 classes. Intro to Accounting, Economics and Non-profit Management.  Lots of fun ;-(  Actually it is a great challenge and gives me something else to do- when I am not working on MeetUps ;-)

Let me ask, please leave comments or email me (springsboys@gmail.com), how many people would like to see the Group sponsor a 'Summer Photography Workshop.'  Members would get 1 class for FREE.  I would bring in outside talent and we would cover photography soup to nuts.  Basic, Intermediate and Advanced classes.  What do you think.  Give me some feedback, let's start a conversation.

That's it for this week.  Thanks again to all those people who made the contest judging happen.  Like us if you want a dailey dose of photography or refer us to a friend if love the 'Community' we're building

Best,
Charlie

Our Vision: Educate, Showcase and Be Community Minded


No comments:

Post a Comment