Thursday, February 6, 2014

One Minute Up (6 February)


Here is a look at the top winners of the Animals Category.  We started with 15 entries and judging was tough.  Not being a judge myself, I could only smile and laugh at the cat winning an Honorable
Mention.  I really don't dislike cats.  I actually do enjoy herding them.  But it is a funny way to have fun with Amy Martin and others by sharing images of fun things like a cat piano- which appears to not be available on Amazon (Amy looked, not me ;-)

I think we will definitely keep an 'Animal' category in next years competition.  We'll see if it grows, so all you animal lovers grab your cameras and keep shooting.

On to business.  In case you haven't heard yet, I made a mistake.  The somewhat good news is that I make enough of them that I have learned to check myself.  Let me tell you this one would have been HUGE if I hadn't caught it.  The Gala is on THURSDAY night NOT FRIDAY-- so that is the 6th and NOT the 7th.  We would have a little problem on Friday night.  The Library closes at 6 p.m. on Fridays.  Yeah, just a little bit of a problem there.  Hopefully everybody can adjust their calendars.  I am sorry if this causes anybody major troubles.

I actually have panic attacks where I panic that the trophies will say Creaative Photogrphy lol.

Some days are tougher than others, but they all end happily one way or another.  Thanks for your patience.

It appears that everybody is getting into voting for the 'Best of Show' award.  If you haven't voted yet, go here and leave a comment.  Comments under photos count as 'votes.'  The grand prize winner will get a very special trophy at the Gala Event.  That's the Gala Event on THURSDAY night. <grin>

Ok, here is me getting on a soapbox as your Organizer.  I think we are at a turning point with this Group.  We have become over the last 3 years much more of a 'Community.'  And people seem happy with that.  I have steered us towards having a 'Community' impact by starting a Student Scholarship Program.  The contest date is set for Apr 23rd.  The winner will receive a cash reward of $250.  Many of you are Scholarship donors (your dues paid for the prize.)  I hope that we can add a school every year.  Let's see where this program goes.  But I see the Student Scholarship as an opportunity for this Group to be something different.  For us to do something collectively as a group that we all can feel good about, more than just attending MeetUps.

Don't get me wrong.  We are still going to do Meetups.  Our vision is Educate, Showcase and be Community minded.  And we take the Educate part very seriously.  Everybody knows that we are open to photographers of all skill levels, but nobody thinks you need to 'just stay where your at.'  Even your Leadership wants and is eager to learn.  Being a place where our passion fuels endeavors makes us a great group.  I hope your excited about growing too.

So stay tuned,
Charlie

"Educate, Showcase, Community-Minded

3 comments:

  1. Big Bad Bodacious Brucey here, chiming in from Louisville, Ky.
    First, I miss the Springs and so many of you! (But not having to share the road with stoners.)
    Next, I'm compelled to tell all who would be reading this: I now live in a town about 3x the size of the Springs and "they ain't nuthin' like your Meetup here. Nuthin'!"
    So, give this'n all the support you can 'cause you're gettin' a whole lot more than if you lived anywhere else. Go ahead. Google "photography meetup" and the name of any other town where you might like to live as much as good ol' Colorado Springs. See what you come up with. (I wouldn't throw down the challenge if I was afraid of the outcome.)
    You wanna know why the others can't hold a candle to the CSCPG? Leadership.
    It's that simple. (Not that Charlie's a saint or a genius; I've bent elbows with him enuf to say with absolute certainty he doesn't come close to being either one...which makes two of us, to be sure.)
    The whole point of this rant is to warn you not to take what for granted what you've got - a high quality Meetup led by a big hearted guy. Don't just take what you can grab -give back or pay forward what you can.
    Funny thing: the more we give, the more we get. It's the law of the farm: we reap what we sow, more than we sow and later than we sow it. End of midnight rant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love this Bruce! I'm so in agreement. It comes back 10fold when we give wholeheartedly

      Delete
  2. And sweet Charlie, always a good read my dear friend. Hope to see you soon... Ree

    ReplyDelete