Thursday, January 9, 2014

One Minute Update (9 Jan)

Hi everyone,

I hope your 2014 continues to be off to a great start.  Mine has.  I am on 'vacation' up in Denver.  I am working on a Visual Story Telling project for the Colorado Red Cross (it is their 100th Anniversary this year).  I spent much of my day at the Colorado Museum looking at old photos.  It is an awesome experience to handle old photographs and comb through looking for the best ones to use in your story.  For the most part they were all 'everyday' pictures.  People who simply loved to carry their cameras, capturing their changing times.  I thank them for leaving me the breadcrumbs to follow in their footsteps.

Let's see what is new for 'us' today.  We have lost a Co-Organizer.  Matt Payne is leaving us to pursue greater fame and fortune.  I have asked Don Savage to step in and fill Matt's place.  Many of you may already know Don.  He has been a member for a few years.

I got your message/feedback about talking about dues.  Your support has been incredible (95 people have paid their dues to date).  The only people who still question us asking for $1 a month to grow the community are the people that are not active in the Group.  Everybody else 'gets it.'  So I am getting off my soapbox.  There are better things to talk about and share.  I hope more of you will sign up for the 'Community' Photo Contest Judging on the 25th.   Even more FUN will be the Community Photo Contest Gala and Donor Appreciation night on Mar 7th.  (Please rsvp soon so we can have the right amount of food)

I did some trimming of the Group.  Some Groups never look to see how active their members are.  We do.  If someone has been inactive for more than a year then we check in with them and remove them from the Group if they are no longer interested.  So that explains why we went from 650 to 580.  We hate to see anybody leave the community- but we are committed you, the people that still care enough to read emails like this :-)

We have a date set for the Student Scholarship Judging (Apr 23rd).  I look forward to sharing the news and the results of this community project.  I am still open to any suggestions for a 2nd school for us to support in 2015 (I would like to grow (1) school a year.)

Some suggested reading:
Goodbye, Cameras in the New Yorker

Let's have FUN!
Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment